Homeschool Community/Community Organizations
(30-Minute Session, $75)
Kindergarten, 1ST & 2nd Grade Students
After opening with a fun, musical Power Point to introduce the story, the author will show the book and take an engaging picture walk through this beautifully illustrated story and answer questions about this amazing journey of The1947 Freedom Train. She will also talk about how she became an author and show some objects from this adventure and answer questions.
Written in Historical Fiction, children will leave excited to hear the entire story in a classroom setting with a teacher’s plan to read a few wonderful pages each day! After learning about this train’s journey, children will begin to build a strong foundation of patriotism, respect for all our military heroes and appreciation of our great freedoms. ALL ABOARD!
(45-Minute Session, $75)
3rd, 4th & 5th Grade Students
After opening with a fun, musical Power Point to introduce the story, the author will read this exciting story aloud showing the beautiful illustrations. Following this, she will answer questions about this train’s amazing journey and also talk about how she became an author, showing some objects from this adventure and answer questions.
Children are naturally fascinated with trains! They will learn that people waited in long lines for up to 6 hours in all kinds of inclement weather, with no devices or Internet… to view our national treasures aboard this red, white and blue train. Their curiosity will be piqued and forever impacted to learn about our country’s history and its importance in their lives through this innovatively written story.
This story focuses on the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights that were aboard this magnificent train. A strong foundation of patriotism, respect for all our military heroes and appreciation of our great freedoms will begin to build in the minds and hearts of students. ALL ABOARD!
Author Visit Day Guidelines:
- Presentations can be scheduled in the morning and afternoon to meet the needs of your homeschool community or community organization.
- If needing to form large groups, Kathy Maggart recommends students in groups of about 150 when illustrations can be projected onto a screen. The illustrations are on a flash drive for these larger group audiences.
- The author will sign books in-between or after all presentations on the day of visit.
- Please download the Pre-Order Form for your K-5th grade students. All books will be autographed! (Book Pre-Order Form)
- Please have Event Coordinator confirm number of books ordered the day before Author Visit by phone or email.
- Please bring Pre-Order forms to the Author Visit.
- When book shipping is involved, Pre-Order Forms need to be confirmed with Kathy Maggart 4 weeks prior to the Author Visit so books will arrive at the event prior to scheduled Author Visit date. Orders are welcome after the initial order and shipment, and will be shipped after the visit.
Author Needs on Day of Visit
- A (White screen, white wall or Smartboard) to project onto, a computer to plug in a flash drive and a projector to plug into if watching the opening Power Point or projecting the illustrations onto a screen.
- Extra AV cart, small table or nearby bookshelf to set up my wireless mic.
- Someone present to help set up the technology and someone available in each session to assist if technical issue occurs.